Who We Are
Board of Directors
Rev. Dr. Dwight D. Andrews
Senior Minister, First Congregational Church
Executive Director, Atlanta Preservation Center
Chef/Owner, Sweet Auburn Bread Company
Chair, Organization Committee Chair
Vice President / Real Estate Development,
Atlanta Housing Authority
District 5 Councilwoman, Atlanta City Council
Katheryn Flowers Glasco
Ebenzer Baptist Church
Butler Street CDC
Georgia State University
Owner, M Bar
VP, Planning and Economic Development,
Central Atlanta Progress
Secretary/Treasurer, Economic Restructuring Committee
Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change
Nancy Hall White
Owner, Sweet Auburn Seafood
Office of Congressman John Lewis, U.S. House of Representatives, 5th District
President, Wheat Street Charitable Foundation
Rev. John Foster, Ph.D.
Senior Pastor, Big Bethel AME Church
Legal Strategy Group
Sweet Auburn is home to businesses, residents, and institutions, including the National Park Service, Georgia State University, and a number of churches.
More than 1 million+ visitors come each year to visit the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site.
GSU’s 30,000+ students pass through this neighborhood every day on their way to class. New businesses have opened, with more on the way. And investors are eyeing properties in the neighborhood with plans to invest.
We are also home to the Atlanta Streetcar, which provides a convenient way to travel between the Sweet Auburn historic district, the heart of downtown Atlanta, downtown attractions, and Georgia State University.
Brown Boy Bottling Company was the nation’s first black-owned soft drink firm.
The National Medical Association, the first organization representing African American physicians and health professionals in America, was founded at the First Congregational Church in 1895.
Big Bethel AME Church, the first African-American church in Atlanta, the congregation dates back to at least 1847, became an AME church after the Civil War.
C.C. Hart, one of the founding investors of Mutual Federal Savings and Loan Co., was the first licensed black plumber in Atlanta.
WERD Atlanta was the first radio station owned and operated by African-Americans, starting in 1949.
The Atlanta Daily World, founded in 1928 and became a daily in 1932, was the first successful black-owned daily newspaper in America.
Theodore “Tiger” Flowers (see right) , a deacon at the Bulter Street CME church and thus very much a part of the Sweet Auburn community, was the first African-American middleweight boxing champion.
The Top Hat Club, which later became the Royal Peacock, was the first integrated nightclub in Atlanta.
Founded in 1881 by a group from Big Bethel AME Church, Morris Brown College / University was the first institution of higher learning in Georgia organized by and for African Americans.
In 1879, the Gate City Colored School, the first public school for African Americans in Atlanta, was founded in the basement of Big Bethel.
Our Lady of Lourdes was the first African-American Catholic church in Atlanta.
The first African-American Girl Scout troop in Atlanta met at the Atlanta Daily World building in 1943.
In the 1930’s Citizens Trust Bank (founded by Heman Perry, see right) became the first African American-owned bank to become a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
In 1948 Citizens Trust became the first African American-owned bank to join the Federal Reserve Bank.
Atlanta State Savings Bank opened in 1913, the first chartered black bank in Georgia.
Standard Life Insurance Co., established by Heman Perry, was the first legal reserve company among African Americans.
Consolidated Company was the first black small loan company licensed by the state.
Jesse B. Blayton, Sr. was the first black CPA in America.
T.M. Alexander established Southeastern Fidelity Fire and Casualty Company, the first black casualty insurance brokerage company in the South.
Alonzo Herndon started the city’s first black-owned life insurance company, Atlanta Mutual, later Atlanta Life Insurance Company.
Organization builds a pathway to leadership in local efforts by launching community based, volunteer driven nonprofit entities that empower residents and investors to collaborate for sustainable revitalization.
Promotion focuses on authentic community assets, with high quality image development campaigns and events that will attract new shoppers, visitors, and residents.
Design targets infrastructure and building improvements that lay the groundwork for physical transformation.
Economic Restructuring redefines the district’s niche in the marketplace and sharpens the competitiveness of existing businesses.